About the Role
All Sailing Instructors work under the supervision of the Program Director. The Sailing Instructor is expected to provide teaching that emphasizes safety, proper handling of equipment, skill development, and provides an enjoyable experience for all participants in a manner consistent with the goals and mission of the SBJSA.
The candidate should be a leader who is highly organized and self-motivated with excellent communication skills. A large part of this position includes communicating with parents, members, sailors, and other staff respectfully and effectively.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Assist the Program Director in preparing a creative learning environment,
2. Prepare and teach daily sailing lessons on and off the water.
3. Demonstrate proper handling, care, and respect for all material, equipment, and facilities.
4. Perform routine maintenance of boats and equipment on a daily basis as required.
5. Be willing to carry out other duties as assigned by the Program Director
6. Contribute ideas and project enthusiasm and energy.
7. Supervise students to ensure their safety and happiness.
8. Attend all staff meetings, clinics, and workdays as outlined by the Program Director.
9. Report any problems to the Program Director.
10. When required by the Program Director work some weekday evenings and some weekend days to support our Community Boating Program
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Strong leadership skills.
Strong interpersonal skills.
Strong written and verbal communication skills; ability to communicate appropriately with all levels of customers from kids, parents, assistants to Directors.
General sail and power boat operational skills
Ability to adapt to a changing environment and support program needs.
Ability to critically think and take appropriate action.
Strong organization skills, attention to detail, and follow through to resolve any outstanding issues.
Supervise children ages 8-18
Must be at least 17 years of age by June 15th. All certifications are required prior to active employment but are not necessary at the time of hire.
Current CPR, First Aid, and AED Certificate
US Sailing Level I Instructor
Ability to swim at least at Red Cross Level 5 or equivalent
NYS Safe Boating Card
USSA Safe Sport Certificate
Successfully pass a background check: Must have no felonious convictions, and no charges for child abuse or endangering the well being of a minor.
Prior teaching experience in a junior sailing program
Lifeguard Certification with Waterfront Module
US Sailing Level 2
US Sailing Reach Certificate
* Reimbursement of Level 1 & 2 program costs will be provided upon successful completion of the course within the context of our current employee handbook.
PHYSICAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL REQUIREMENTS:
Employees must have the ability to perform the following physical demands for extended periods of time:
Lifting Boats (carry up 45 pounds for 20 feet)
Being outside in any weather conditions
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the individual(s) assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required. Management reserves the right to modify, add, or remove duties and to assign other duties as necessary.
Sodus Bay Junior Sailing Association Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other status protected by law.
About the Company
This is placeholder text. To change this content, double-click on the element and click Change Content. Want to view and manage all your collections? Click on the Content Manager button in the Add panel on the left. Here, you can make changes to your content, add new fields, create dynamic pages and more. You can create as many collections as you need.
Your collection is already set up for you with fields and content. Add your own, or import content from a CSV file. Add fields for any type of content you want to display, such as rich text, images, videos and more. You can also collect and store information from your site visitors using input elements like custom forms and fields.
Be sure to click Sync after making changes in a collection, so visitors can see your newest content on your live site. Preview your site to check that all your elements are displaying content from the right collection fields.