Fleet and Facilities:
Sodus Bay Junior Sailing Association is fortunate to have a large, well-equipped fleet of sailboats and other watercraft, along with beautiful facilities and grounds, to utilize in all our programs.
Our sailboat fleet is currently comprised of the following:
(20) Optimist Dinghies, including 6 boats reserved for use by our Travel Race Team
(16) Lasers, with a mix of all 3 class rigs available (4.7, Radial and Tall Rig), including 6 boats reserved for use by our Travel Race Team
(18) Club 420s, including 3 boats that are equipped with spinnaker and trapeze for our Travel Race Team.
(3) Hobie Catamarans, w/ trailers
(1) O’Day 19, w/ trailer
(5) single West Marine Kayaks (“sit on”); (1) double West Marine kayak (“sit on”)
(5) Stand-up Paddleboards
(2) high performance rowing craft, w/ trailers
Our powerboat fleet is comprised of the following:
(3) Boston Whalers – two 17’ long and one 13’ long, with 4-stroke outboards and trailers
(7) Aluminum safety boats, 12-14’ long, each with a 4-stroke outboard
Note: All outboard engines are fitted with permanent propeller safety guards
To support all our sailboats, we own a comprehensive inventory of sails, rigging and other hardware that are well maintained by either volunteers or nearby professional marinas and sailmakers. Our 420s are stored on our grounds on custom made cradles and all our Optis and Lasers on custom made storage rack systems. We also own 3 additional custom trailers to transport 420s, Optis and Lasers for our Travel Race Team.
On our property in Sodus Point, NY, SBJSA operates out of a 3100 sq ft primary structure called the “CH Stuart Foundation Sailing Center”. The building’s features include a small kitchen, men’s and ladies’ restrooms with showers, a staff room/office, refrigerators, built-in trophy cases, boat maintenance area and a large classroom instructional space with complete AV and internet capability. Two large overhead doors provide easy movement of boats and equipment inside and out, including inside storage of our powerboats and outboard engines during the winter months.
On our grounds, we also have 2 large storage sheds to house foils, sails, masts, booms and other hardware for our Optimist and Laser boats, as well as a beautiful, custom timberframe pavilion for outdoor teaching and other purposes. We also have a 9000 sq ft paved parking
area where we keep all our powerboat trailers, Race Team sailboat transport trailers, our fuel storage trailer and some of our sailboat fleet. Our waterfront capabilities include a sandy beach for launching and retrieving watercraft, 2 large floating dock systems, over 260 ft of steel sheetpiled or concrete seawall perimeter, a custom concrete pad for playing the popular game “4-Square” and an inviting hardscape flagpole and awards court area.
We invite you to come see our property, facilities and fleet at any time!